ABOUT KLYC RADIO
Celebrate Life Media LLC purchased KLYC from Bohnsack Strategies Inc after the station had ceased broadcasting on March 22, 2013. The station remained silent for three months. KLYC resumed operations on June 28th 2013.
KLYC plays an oldies format known as "the cruise" at 1260 on the AM dial and worldwide on the worldwide web! Even though we are an AM radio station, it's still ok to listen in the afternoons and evenings. Yes... I really wrote that.
We are all about LOCAL! We focus on the local things that are of importance to the residents of Yamhill county. Local news, local sports, local events. If it's happening in Yamhill county, it's happening on KLYC!
Celebrate Life Media LLC owns and operates KLYC Radio.
City of License: McMinnville, Oregon
Broadcast Area: Yamhill County, Oregon
Frequency: 1260 kHz
Current Format: Oldies
Power: 1,000 watts (day) 850 watts (night)
Callsign Meaning: K Leading Yamhill County
KMCM (1949-1979) KCYX (1979-1990)
First Air Date: June 18th, 1949 (as KMCM)
Facility ID: 6322
Transmitter Coordinates: 45°14′04″N 123°07′57″W
The History of KLYC Radio
Originally Launched as KMCM on June 18, 1949
Work on this station began when the Federal Communications Commission issued a construction permit for a new AM station to McMinnville Broadcasting Company on September 9, 1948.The new station was authorized to broadcast with 1,000 watts of power, daytime-only, on a frequency of 1260 kHz as KMCM. McMinnville Broadcasting owner Jack B. Bladine was also the publisher of the Telephone-Register newspaper in McMinnville, now known as the McMinnville News Register. The corporate name on the permit was changed to Yamhill Broadcasters in December 1948.
Physical construction of the broadcast tower began in January 1949 with work on the radio studio building commencing on March 1949. KMCM began testing its transmitter on June 11, 1949, and started regular broadcast operation at 11:00am on June 18, 1949, with a ceremonial first broadcast at a local theater inaugurated by McMinnville mayor R.H. Windisher. The station's initial format was a mix of local and syndicated block programming under the slogan "Always good listening". KMCM was authorized to add nighttime service with a 1,000 watt directional signal on November 4, 1949.
The station joined the Keystone Broadcasting System on March 1, 1950, but dropped it in favor of Gordon McLendon's Liberty Broadcasting System on October 2, 1950. This radio network affiliation lasted until Liberty went out of business in May 1952, and KMCM resumed its previous Keystone affiliation.
The silent video clip below, is from a larger documentary film shot around McMinnville, circa 1952. This particular portion of the documentary focused on the local radio station KMCM, now KLYC.
Sales And Changes
On August 22, 1959, Yamhill Broadcasters, Inc., announced that it had agreed to sell KMCM to the Yamhill Radio Company for a reported sale price of $80,000. The deal was approved by the FCC on October 1, 1959. The station's format was changed in mid-1962 to a middle of the road sound. The new ownership was short-lived as KMCM was sold again on April 1, 1963, to Ray Andrew Fields for a reported $100,000. After a few more years of MOR operation, the station flipped to Top 40 music in January 1967. One year later, on January 1, 1968, KMCM became a charter affiliate of ABC Radio's "American Information Network" which featured newscasts at the top of every hour.
On October 29, 1968, Ray Andrew Fields committed to sell KMCM to Norjud Broadcasting, Inc., for a reported title price of $97,500. Norjud Broadcasting, owned by Norman and Judith Aldred, gained FCC approval for the sale on November 16, 1968. The new owners moved the music format back to the middle of the road.
However, change became the constant as in October 1971 the station added country & western to the music mix with the station becoming a purely C&W station by October 1972. The station's on-air promotions claimed that the "MCM" in KMCM stood for "More Country Music". But by late 1976, KMCM returned some MOR music to its schedule and in early 1977 flipped to an entirely adult contemporary music format. In 1978, the station re-introduced Top 40 music to its mix, but only in the evenings.
Call Letters Changed to KCYX
The station was assigned the KCYX call sign by the Federal Communications Commission on June 6, 1979. In March 1980, Norjud Broadcasting, Inc., reached an agreement to sell this station to Radio 1260, Inc., for a reported $475,000. The deal was approved by the FCC on May 21, 1980. The new owners dropped the Top 40 block and spread the adult contemporary format to all dayparts.
In July 1987, Radio 1260, Inc., reached an agreement to sell this station to Matrix Media, Inc., for a reported sale price of $681,812. The deal was approved by the FCC on July 31, 1987, and the transaction was consummated on September 15, 1987. Matrix Media shifted the format to a successful mix of adult contemporary music and talk radio. On-air talent included morning man Steve Kenyon, News Director Ben Gutierez, Marty Lanser, Program Director Rich Patterson, KC McCormick, Glenn Nobel, Mark Lacy, Sports Director Tom Lockyear & Loren Engel.
KCYX Becomes KLYC
In April 1990, as part of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings involving Matrix Media, the broadcast license for KCYX was transferred to trusteee Thomas A. Huntsberger. The involuntary transfer was approved by the FCC on May 14, 1990, and KCYX went off the air. Two weeks later, in late May 1990, trustee Huntsberger arranged a sale of KCYX and its assets to Larry and Stella Bohnsack, doing business as Bohnsack Strategies, Inc., for a reported $120,000. The deal was approved by the FCC on October 2, 1990, and the transaction was consummated on October 31, 1990. The new owners had the FCC change the station's call sign to KLYC on June 20, 1990. KLYC returned to the air in October 1990 with a format blending adult contemporary and oldies music. The station increased its broadcast power to 1,000 watts on May 1, 1996. The station shifted to an all-oldies format, focused on the hits of the 60s and 70s, in 2001.
KLYC also carried select news from CNN Radio, local high school football games, Yamhill High Flyers IBL basketball games, plus the Linfield College Wildcats college football and men's basketball games. Original specialty programming on weekends included a cooking program called "At the Table With Jack Czarnecki which claimed to be the "only food radio show in Oregon".
KLYC ceased broadcasting on March 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM (advertised as 12:60 PM in reference to the station's broadcast frequency) The last song played was "End of The Line", by The Traveling Wilburys. The Traveling Wilburys (sometimes shortened to the Wilburys) were a British-American supergroup consisting of Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and Jim Keltner. The band recorded two albums in 1988 and 1990, though Orbison died before the second was recorded.
Reportedly Haunted Studios
In 1991, KLYC's news director documented a "presence" of something paranormal in the station's equipment room, especially while the broadcast transmitter was being warmed up for the day's operation. A clairvoyant named Erin Lasell was brought in to investigate in October 1991 and she confirmed the "presence" at the station. The station's owners confirmed that this "presence" had been reported by a number of other employees over the years as well.
KLYC occupied this building until moving to a new radio studio building in 1993. The station relocated its broadcast tower in 2000 and the former studio building is now a daycare facility. Staff at the daycare have also reported paranormal activity in the same part of the building.